Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Day 21: Delivery Confirmation

I don't like giving the wrong impression, so let me clarify.

Dana commented the other day, about how "there's a power greater than Murphy." To which, I wholeheartedly agree. And Dana knows me personally and knew what I meant, but for those of you who don't, let me just say:

Be it far from me to leave God out of the equation!

I don't like to give the impression that I'm "flying solo, " or relying on my own strength when it comes to any facet of life. Especially Michaela's situation. Because I'm not. Plain and simple. I wouldn't even have a BLOG if that were the case, because I would've lost my mind in anger and sorrow a long time ago. I'm sure I wouldn't have any mental capacity for it. And probably no desire at all.

No. The reason I do as well as I do is because of God, and how He's taken care of us and kept a hand on our difficulties in life. And the reason my blog is named what it is, is because I know that no matter what happens in life, I've got it pri-tee good. Doing it God's way, that is.

But I like words, and I like to play around with them. I love puns and riddles and use them frequently in my writing. I especially like to change commonly understood phrasing (like the title of a song, for instance), into something that suits my purpose, giving it a double meaning. I think it's fun and clever. I like reading stuff like that, so I use it as well.

So, when I use a phrase referring to something like "Murphy's Law", it's NOT that I'm disregarding "God's Law", it's just that I'm using phrasing that everyone knows and understands (who doesn't know what Murphy's Law is???), to get my point across. I could've just wrote about how uncanny it is that children seem to OFTEN do better right AFTER you call the doctor, but I liked the twist up of using Murphy's Law better.

And while we're on the subject:

I've mentioned before why I don't invoke the name of God in my writing more than I do. It is because I have a strong disdain for cheap talk. Not that I would be talking cheap, but so many people do. Especially when it comes to their religeon. I've met more than my fair share of religeous "gushers" in my short 30 years, and I've also found that a fair majority of them are not what they appear to be.

They're not walking it, they're just talking it.

I hate that.

So, you just won't find me gushing on this site. I'd rather you make the connection from the way I live, than from what I tell you. So then, when I DO bring it up, you won't be surprised. There are just too many instances in this world (and especially here, in the Bible Belt, where over 90% of the people claim to be a Christian), where the opposite is true: A person might be surprised to find OUT someone is a Christian, after they see their daily life. That's just as bad as the gushers who put "Praise the Lord" at the end of every sentance, but are hanging out at the girlie bar on Saturday night.

Ok. But I don't do that. Yet, I still feel as though people shy away from people who gush incessantly. Like, they don't trust someone who talks like that. Maybe it's just me. Maybe I just don't trust them. And that's fine too. Like I said, I've been around people like that, only to be burnt by my expectations later. So I prefer to handle myself differently.


But God's HAS been good to me. Let me show you how....





PS: this post is NOT directed at any one of my readers. If you think I'm talking about you, I'm probably not. If you think you fall into the category of a "gusher", then analyze yourself and decide if you're just talking cheap. If you're not, then you don't qualify. Handle yourself the way you feel you should, and so will I :)

3 comments:

Awesome Mom said...

Amen to that! That is one reason that I also do not gush on my blog even though I could fill up an entire blog with gushing. Plus some of that stuff is just too personal to share with strangers.

Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

You know, I could have totally written this. Those very thoughts have been on my mind. I was "called out" about saying something about Murphy's Law a few weeks ago by someone that knows me well. They KNOW that I don't believe in "luck" or such things, it was just a figure of speech. And if you know me, you'd know my heart. They should have known that. And I also sometimes wonder if people think I should be writing more Christian-related posts or something but it would be "forced". If I write about something in scripture or what have you, it will be straight from my heart and mind that day. But you won't see it all the time. It's just not how my blog flows. Doesn't mean I am any less of a Christian.

Ok, now I've ranted and taken over your comments when maybe I should just post how I feel on my OWN blog. Anyway! I am just feeling like I can relate and it's so nice to not feel alone. (Of course we are never alone... I think you know what I mean!)

Steph

J. No said...

I know what you mean. There are so many people in the world who are just religious and not actually saved from sin that it causes me to have a tendency to not even be religious. Of course, I know the Bible talks about pure religion in James, so religion in itself is not a bad thing if it actually is pure religion. But just like you said, pure religion is a lot more about walking the walk than talking the talk.

You know... that FAITH without WORKS is dead thing.

Stay encouraged, sistah!