Tuesday, September 09, 2008

"Something Smells Like Fire"

This is what my 9-yr-old, responsible, oldest son said to me late this afternoon as I was doing some stuff in my room.

And sure enough, there WAS a burning type smell in the main part of the house---and a haze in the air when I came in the living room to see what he was talking about.

My first thought was: Get out of the house. Get the kids out of the house!

My second thought was: Now, THIS doesn't smell like smoke, or fire. It smells like burning....plastic. Get the fire extinguisher!

After getting said extinguisher, I promptly checked every corner of the house for the culprit.

Stove? Cold.
Laundry? No smell.
Bedrooms? No smell either.
Wii station? Nothing.

No matter where I went, I couldn't pinpoint the smell OR the location. I just knew that the main part of the house (living room, kitchen, dining room) was very stinky, and the rooms with doors were not.

So I called Chris. He had no clue what to do since he couldn't smell it himself.
Then I called Denna, who's husband works for the local FD. She said to call 911.
So I called 911. And begged them to not make a big deal out of my funky smell, but "could you please just send someone over to find the problem?" I wasn't interested in having a slew of trucks and volunteer firefighters charging to my little residence all decked out for a 4 alarm blaze--when there was only a suspicious smell.

Come to find out, my neighbor up the street is with the FD here and she responded first in her little sedan.

I can handle this kind of response!

She was very nice and came into the house and could smell my problem--but she didn't know what it was either.

So they sent in the big guys. Sigh....

Thankfully, it didn't turn out to be a freak show like I worried about. Just a couple of nice guys sniffin' around my domain with their fancy smelling equipment. In fact, one of the fire trucks was driven by a close family friend. Phew.

Come to find out, the problem was an old computer monitor that had decided to have a bought of "spontaneous monitor combustion." Everybody who's anybody agreed that the smell was coming from the monitor and that it was cooking itself on the inside.

Thus, the melting plastic smell.


And that, my dear readers, is my little slice of excitement for the day.

4 comments:

AlabamaBrands said...

That is a bit exciting!
Glad it wasn't anything too scary.

We've been practicing our evacuation skills over here. Even Sadie is doing good responding to the buzzing, running to the door, and ready to run out to the carport. :)

Denna said...

What is it with you New Hampshire people and fires lately??LOL I am teasing. I am glad God was good to you guys and nothing major happened. Things could be different if you had not been home and smelled the smell. Maybe you can get a new monitor soon. I know your kids love to play games and stuff. Especially your oldest one.

Chrystal said...

so...u aren't using the stinky smelling monitor to blog are you? I mean, shouldn't you get rid of it maybe? :)

Kelly said...

Ooo! You're quick Chrys! No, that was the KIDS computer monitor. I use my laptop for all things online. Their computer isn't hooked up to the internet.