Sunday, February 12, 2006

Snow!

Can you believe it? We actually got SNOW! Here.......in Alabama! I'm not kidding!

This is not a normal occurrence. The last time it snowed, I think, was 5 years ago. Which explains why Libby, my 3-year-old, thought it was DIRT. That's pretty sad. Especially since she's part Yankee.

Unfortunately, the only one of my kids who could effectively remember snow, can't remember snow (Michaela). She was 3 and Noah was 20 months when we moved here. There had been a slew of blizzards before we moved, and the snow piles were literally 5 feet high. We had to use hot water just to get the barbecue out of the huge drift it lay dormant under. Ahhhh, the good ol' days....

NOT

I don't miss snow at all. No, let me rephrase that.....I don't miss SHOVELLING snow. I don't miss warming up your car for 30 minutes before you drive to work or wherever (yeah, mine got STOLEN doing that!!). I don't miss bundling up like an Eskimo just to drive to the supermarket, which is 5 minutes down the road, only to take most everything off when you get there, and there's no room for the groceries 'cuz all the coats, hats, scarves, whatever, is in the cart. I don't miss $300 a MONTH heating bills, chipping ice off my windshield, spinning out on a four lane highway, my hands turning blue. Nope, don't miss ANY of IT!

But I do miss how pretty it is. How quiet it is when the snow falls and how even the dirtiest parts of the city can look gorgeous with fresh snow and a full moon. Sledding was cool when I was a kid, and skiing is a blast. Fortunately, I can experience all of these things without actually living in the Northern Tundra I used to call home. I can visit whenever I want.

Now, here's the truth on the matter: what do you think I did when I realized at midnight last night that there was a blanket of snow on the ground? After opening the front door to make sure that my eyes were not deceiving me, I opened the door again. To SMELL the air.....that wonderful, crisp, snow-falling smell. I felt like a kid at Christmas. I went back to bed and woke up Chris. It was pretty exciting. Just like when I was a child.....

***

Overheard:

(Caleb to Noah after discovering the snow on the ground this morning) "Noah! We get to play in the snow! What do you wanna play in the snow, Noah?"

(Noah, very seriously) "Hey, we could play freeze tag!"

***

Since the baby is sick and I stayed home from church this morning, I think I'll go curl up on the couch with a mug of hot chocolate, some classical in the background, and look out the window.

Hey, we don't get snow everyday!

No comments: