Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Ace of Base

I have five kids. And yes, my hands are full, but my thought on that is this: since humans only have 2 hands, anyone with more than 1 kid, technically has their "hands full". 5 kids isn't that bad. We've thought about having 6. Once we got past 3, it wasn't that big a deal. I can't imagine life without a bunch of little munchkins around (see pic). I find that things are too slow and relatively "boring" when I only have 1 or 2 here. (Although I DO have more time for blogging when that happens!)

However, there are some drawbacks to having a basketball team of midgets living in my house. One of them, is that they have this compulsion to run around, and my house is small. Too small for running around. You wanna sit? Fine, we can handle that. But the house was just not built for marathons, flat out.

Or, hide and seek, for that matter.

This is the new game of choice amongst my darlings. Of course, not all of them play. Michaela can't understand the game (but if she's hyper enough, she might join in the giggling and "running"), and Asher is too little (crawlers never win). But my 3 in the middle have been having a blast for days with this game. And it can be quite comical for me to watch them. 'Cuz Noah's the only one who could count when this fetish started. He's 6 and already in the 2nd grade, so he can count to infinity. But the 4 and 2 year old were just not there yet. They would have their turn to count and they would throw out a random conglomerate of numbers:

"1! 2! 14! 29! 3!"

What game is this? Football?!? Hehehehe ;)

But Noah didn't care, even though things weren't quite fair. And now? Both of the littler ones can count fairly well! Even Libby, the 2 year old, can now count to 11! Homeschooling for Dummies!

But the funniest thing about this is the "Base". Base is usually my loveseat. And even though I didn't usually play this way as a child, I do remember playing this version once I got older. My kids won't play any other way. But, see, they play wrong. Hide and Seek has been reduced to "Run for Base as Soon as They're Done Counting". And I do mean RUN. Poor Libby never wins. The boys "hide", but then they sneak around to wherever she isn't, and then book it for the base. Then they laugh hysterically. And it starts all over again.

It's been like this for days, and even when my little neices and nephews are over, their playing "Base". Although my house CANNOT accomodate 10-12 kids playing this running thing of a game!

Kids are kinda funny, huh? How much money do we spend on toys? And all we needed was a good loveseat!

No comments: