Thursday, June 07, 2007

What's Up......And Some Pics

Bible School will be officially over tomorrow night. We'll be having a closing program at 7 PM, and once that's over, I'll be able to slow down for a little bit.

Chris' birthday was yesterday, and because of Bible School and the fact that we had church last night, we didn't celebrate it yet. He's DYING to find out what I got him, especially since I've been rubbing it in for about 6 months now (hehehehe!), but I won't give it to him until we celebrate his birthday. That'll probably happen next week.

In other news, we are planning on making arrangements to get some fencing this weekend. Make- A-Wish categorically refused to erect a fence as Michaela's wish, so we're going to try to do it for her ourselves. She has absentmindedly walked into the middle of the road twice in the past month when we took our eyes off of her momentarily (we're talking a VERY short time frame here--like 5 minutes? 3? something miniscule like that). Thank God there were no cars coming speeding around the corner. Which reminds me: does anyone know how to get the local government to erect signs that alert oncoming traffic to a handicapped child? I've always thought that would be something good to have. Not that it would keep the drivers from speeding, but maybe it would help them realize the potential problem. Or, at the very least, understand why there is a child wandering in the middle of the street.

That sounds really bad. Like I'm totally irresponsible or something. But it's not me, it's her. She's sneaky; and I am one person. There was even a time when TWO of us were keeping an eye on her, and she escaped out the door of the house and beelined for the road. Scary stuff, I know. We need to invest in some more security for her.

Hence, the fence.

I'm kind of excited about the whole thing. I've wanted one for a good long time. Hopefully it will all go smoothly. We've never put up a fence before....

***

Watching the neighbor bush-hog his field
A sure sign of summer in the country

"Bubba" loves us, this we know
For he always tells us so
Kisses, hugs, and playtime too
Oh, dear Bubba, we love you!

They're just babies....
And I wish I could hold them like this forever.....


Man, am I glad I have a digital camera........................sigh..........................

6 comments:

AlabamaBrands said...

I'm really not happy about Make a Wish not doing that for you.
If there's anything that would make her thrilled it would be to be able to play outside- and what a relief it would be to you!
so not happy...

JSmith5780 said...

I LOVE the softness to the picture of the kids on the porch! What a great photo.

Fencing...not going to pretend it's fun. The best advice is to rent a post hole digger if you have a lot of holes to dig. This will save IMMENSE amounts of time and your hubby's back! Home Depot rents them I know, not sure who else.

As for the sign. The way it works here is you have to figure out if you are on a country road or a town road. Then you go to that higway/engineering deptartment and ask for a sign. I would suggest bringing info on Michaela and her disease and even a note from her doctor explaing that she doesn't understand direction or commands. Blame it on auditory processing. She can hear you but she can't make the quick connection to what you want her to do (ie. STOP!) We are tyring to get a 4 way stop at our intersection so we've been through this!

Good luck!

~*This Mama*~ said...

Sadly enough, it took our accident to have a 3-way stop put up so people would slow down. I know I went to the city council meetings about it. I would start there, if I were you.

I can't believe they refused that? "She wants to go to Tokyo? No PROBLEM!!!!!!!!"

"A fence? What? We can't do a FENCE!"

What's up with that?

BASF said...

I guess you need one of those "slow children" signs.

I've always wondered about those....

Kelly said...

The thing with MAW is that our local chapter won't do anything that involves construction. This is not the case with every division, so I hear.

Anonymous said...

Kelly - first of all, ask your Church to send over some volunteers to help with the fence. Many hands make light work! :) You are so like me - you'll be the first to go help anyone else, but you hate to ask for help for yourself. Get over it just this one time - as you already know, it's *so* important. I just know that your Church will be glad to help your family, if your Church is anything like ours, they'll jump at the chance to help out. So let them, OK? :)

Make-A-Wish is a great organization; I can understand why they have the "no construction" rule, though. Otherwise, they would be building new houses for every kid in the area...

As far as the sign goes, jsmith has it right - figure out who is responsible for the road in front of your house, and work with that agency or authority to get the sign up. The primary focus will be persistance - it took me nearly a year of agitating, but I finally got the sign we needed for our neighborhood that way. In our case, the city "owned" the east bound lanes, and the county "owned" the west bound lanes of the road, so we had to coordinate both entities to get the signs for both sides of the road...

Excellent pictures of the little sweeties! :)

Thim :)