Monday, June 25, 2007

Lightning Strikes Twice (or More)

It's almost too good to be true.

The other day, I was going about my business and getting stuff done around the house, when I noticed that Michaela was in the bathroom.

Now, just to let you know, Michaela almost NEVER goes into the bathroom of her own accord. I mean, not unless someone is in there, or if she's dragged in. She's technically in there every day, but it's only because she wants me (while I'm using the restroom--arg), or because I'm trying to get her to "go" in something other than a Pull-up.

So anyhow. The other day she was IN the bathroom (and I wasn't!). The light was on, the toilet cover was up, and she was backed up to it and attempting to get her skirt down. I couldn't believe my eyes. I quickly helped her, and she did indeed go to the bathroom. I mean, she did this ALL BY HERSELF. No prompting from me, and almost no help either.

It has been YEARS since she's made any attempt to use the bathroom of her own accord. YEARS since she's recognized that she even HAS to use the restroom. If she ever uses the toilet instead of a diaper, it's only been because we put her on there and hoped for the best. Lots of times we catch her, but if for some reason we don't put her on the potty, she just uses the pullup with no reservation. Any time we ask her if she "has to go" she always answers "No." Always.

But for some unseen reason, she's started doing this.

And it wasn't just a fluke, like I figured. Every day since that day, there's been some initiative on her part to use the bathroom. Whether she's told us she has to go, or she's walked herself in there and started the process herself.

Like this morning: I woke up to her telling Libby, "I'll be riiiight back. I'm going pee on the potty."

And THAT, my dear friends, is better music than any chirping birds.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! That brought tears to my eyes, happy tears!

AlabamaBrands said...

Wowwweeeeee!
That's super!

Awesome Mom said...

How exciting!!!! I will keep my fingers crossed that this keeps happening.

jes said...

that's awesome kelly!!!!

Anonymous said...

Go, Miss M, Go! (pun intended!) :)

JSmith5780 said...

That is SO GREAT! I hope she truly is getting it now! Long may it continue!

Karen said...

Way to go Boo!!!! I hope it continues. Isnt it great when they do something like that on a whim it just makes it that more enjoyable! It also makes you wonder what goes on inside those little minds of theirs. Keep bringing the good news back as well. I love hearing these stories!

Denna said...

Great!!! That is Awesome.