Saturday, March 17, 2007

Roots

Unfortunately, St. Patrick's Day is considered to be a day set aside to:

A: Walk in a parade
B: Get drunk, or
C: Walk in a parade, getting drunk

Now I realize that most people who celebrate this holiday do so with wearing green clothing (like Irish people dress like leprachauns or something....), tacky shamrock earrings, and eating corned beef and cabbage. But, to REAL Irish people....

...those who honor their heritage.....

....and actually know something about where they came from....

...and remember their Grandfather's stories......

...and the hardships their ancestors endured before coming to America....

...and the hardships they endured AFTER coming to America....

St. Patrick's Day is probably a day to meditate on how wonderful it is to have such a strong family, and generations worth of memories, and deep........



roots.

At least, I do.

I am proud to be a third generation Irish American. I'm as green on the inside as they get.

2 comments:

JSmith5780 said...

Is that a family photo? If so, what a keepsake...I'd blow it up and have it framed and displayed prominently...ya know, even if it isn't a family photo, I probably would. I can only imagine the hope and optimism these poeple felt, as my ancestors did coming over from Poland.

I wish immigrants still had to come into the ccountry this way, and see this sight, perhaps they would have more respect for what it means to be offered/given the privilege of being an American and the freedoms it entails.

OK, off my soap box.

Hope everyone is well in your family.

Chrystal said...

After telling my husband that I wasn't Irish, I recanted and decided I was. After all, my last name is Shaughnessy! :) I can't say that I'm Irish... I think my mom has some in her, but I identify more with my german roots. But I think it's kind of a silly holiday anyways, for all the former reasons, not the latter. :)