Saturday, December 02, 2006

Shave And A Haircut

In my boys' case, it's the same thing!

Now that Asher is a full-fledged boy (as opposed to a curly headed baby), we found that going to the barber to get haircuts was getting a bit pricey. $8-$9 a head when you've got four heads to remodel every month is just more than I wanted to spend. I mean, that's almost $40! And you KNOW I could find something nicer to do with $40 bucks!

So, Chris took it upon himself to start giving every male-child (including himself) their monthly workout. He had done his own head a couple of times in the past to save us a few bucks, but he really hadn't done much with the boys. For some reason, their hair doesn't grow as fast as his does, and so we could get by with not cutting theirs for far longer.

Unfortunately, my dear hubby is quite picky about his coif, and will only have it a certain way---military flat-top style. He's had this haircut since his junior year in HIGH SCHOOL. I must say, it suits me far better than the alternative. He just doesn't look right with longer hair. And now that it's been, oh, 15 years or so of the same style, his head won't tolerate the change. Everytime we try to do something a little different, and grow it out a bit, he ends up looking like a Q-tip. Yeah, not appealling.

So, since he's had to do it in the past, cutting his hair wasn't a big deal. BUT, cutting the boys' seemed to present a whole different ball game. They like to have their hair like their Daddy's, and that's fine, but as we all know, it's different doing something with someone else's hair, even though you do it with your own. He couldn't seem to get it right. Either they would end up with a bald spot somewhere, or an uneven patch somewhere else. He became increasingly frustrated each time he would try. And the boys.......well, they looked a little haphazard.

So I felt is was my turn to take a shot at it. Not that I had any CLUE what I was doing, but I figured I couldn't do a WORSE job.......

Well, I'm happy to report that it didn't go so bad the first time I tried it. The boys looked decent and presentable. It wasn't a style they would've picked out, but it was clean and shorter and nice. I mainly used scissors to do it because I was too scared to use the buzz clippers. But as you can probably tell, NOT using clippers means that the hair is longer, and therefore gets shaggy a lot quicker. Like, two weeks quicker. That was annoying. I had to psych myself into cutting their hair the first time, and now I had to do it again?!? Arggghhhhh!

So I was determined to use those clippers this time. I chose the second shortest setting on the sides and back, and the fourth shortest for the top. Making sure the border from one to the other was something I was concerned about. I didn't want it to look like they had a bowl of hair on the top of their scalp. Nor did I want them to have "scalloping" on the sides of their head!

And for the second time EVER cutting hair, I think it came out pretty good! I may be able to refine my technique a little the more I do it, but this is the tyoe of haircut I like on my boys, and I was actually able to do a really good job!

Well, at least I wouldn't have asked for my money back if the barber did a job like this.....

Poor Ashey looks a little bald, but I honestly did the exact same thing with him as I did with the other two. He just has really light colored hair!

Not bad for savin' myself a few bucks, eh?

9 comments:

AlabamaBrands said...

Pretty good!
(From our cheap-o-hair-cut house to yours!)

BASF said...

Wonderful Job!!

I bought clippers when my boys were young and started cutting theirs. I figured by the time they were old enough to care how it looked, I would be "experienced".

They seemed to be satisfied.
The big draw back was that sometimes they would decide they wanted a haircut at the most inopportune times. I guess that's the benefit of having a built-in barber.

Chrystal said...

They look so great!! Boy Asher is getting big! David and I were amazed at how big and cute he is looking! I'm so proud of you for doing the hair cutting thing. I had the same experience cutting David's hair, and it turned out ok. Funny thing, I just cut his hair tonight, and then get on here and find you did the same thing. :) Great minds think alike!

Awesome Mom said...

I started doing my husband's hair when we were dating. He had been doing it himself and it was not pretty. I buzz Evan all the time because I got scared to use scissors on a squirming screaming child.

It looks like you did a great job!

Just Me said...

Q-Tip Chris! Hee!Hee!

I cut Mike's hair to save us money. For better or worse, I guess.

JSmith5780 said...

You did good!

I buzz my oldest's hair...makes it so much easier for EEGs. At least I think it does. It's much easier to get the 'glue' out afterwards. My aunt does my younger two with scissors. I am definitely not brave enough to do that. Perhaps they will graduate to buzz cuts too one day. I guarantee my husband would not let me near his head. He complains when I do his neck and sideburns :)

Danielle said...

I think they look GREAT!

And RYC, I would freekin' have a HEART ATTACK if a mom handed me a Resident Cheat Sheet. I would probably stand up and kiss her!

See, the problem is, we know about her history cause we read it in the chart, etc. But we STILL have to ask you in order for the insurance/Medicaid to cover your stay. There are certain things that have to be done/said/asked/documented.

I LOVE your idea. LOVE it

Omaloriann said...

Good job Kelly - I only cut my boys hair twice & Davids once - thats all it took! LOL The barber got the rest! heehee
Proud of ya girl!

J. No said...

$7 x 4 boys (including Chris) x 12/year x 16 years = $5,376.00

In the long run even if you only cut Chris' hair for 16 years you will save more than $5,000.